WMAQ's new Elmhurst transmitter plant and the twin towers of its center-fed, horizontally
Ground was broken on the new facility in February of 1928 where a new 5000
watt transmitter was installed. Construction and testing were completed in
late May (this was quite a rush job).
A construction boom in Chicago's loop (which included many tall buildings that
looked down upon the La
Salle Hotel antenna) prompted the move to the suburbs. (By the beginning of
1928, WMAQ's signal penetrated only half of metropolitan Chicago).