WMAQ engineer Donald Weller to the right of the "new" Western Electric
type 6A transmitter that WMAQ put into service on December 10th, 1925. This thousand-watt
behemoth replaced the five-hundred watt Western Electric 1A transmitter that WMAQ
had used since September of 1922. The 6A remained in service until 1928, when
WMAQ moved its transmitter site to suburban Elmhurst and installed a five-thousand
watt transmitter. Seated, an unidentified engineer adjusts the master gain control
of the speech input amplifier.